Sudanese authorities cut off electricity across the country on Sunday (April 7) and took action to ban most social networking sites because protests against government protesters escalated.
The Sudan Ministry of Water Resources, Irrigation and Power announced on Sunday that the Sudan had a complete blackout, but said in a statement, “Engineers and technicians are starting to restart these stations and power the network... details will be more complete later. ”
On Sunday afternoon, the government blocked the social networking site, the second step since the outbreak of the protest on December 19.
Protesters could not communicate through WhatsApp, Facebook and Twitter on Sunday afternoon because of the government blockade, and many have taken action to break the ban on existing phones.
The Sudanese government blocked social networking sites for the first time in about two months. In December last year, demonstrations broke out in some cities in Sudan and the ban was lifted.
On Sunday, thousands of protesters gathered outside the Khartoum Army headquarters for the second day, shouting slogans against the President Omar al-Bashir government and demanding that the military take a stand on the four-month-old protests. .
"Peace, justice, freedom" and "Sudan liberation, army liberation", protesters shouted, many of whom spent the night outside the fortifications of the Sudanese Ministry of Defence and the Omar al-Bashir residence.
"After we did it yesterday, we will not leave this place until we finish our work," said one demonstrator, who spent the night outside the compound. "We will not leave this place until he resigns," he said.
Witnesses said that some demonstrators blocked the bridge connecting Khartoum to the marine area, causing huge traffic congestion.
Witnesses said several private companies announced a holiday on Sunday, while others organized water and snacks for protesters.
According to eyewitnesses, Sudanese security forces arrested Abu Udida Abdullah, editor of the newspaper "Siaha", at the newspaper headquarters in Khartoum on Sunday.
Since the outbreak of the protest movement in December, thousands of people have participated in a large-scale anti-government rally on Saturday, during which they arrived at the headquarters of the military.
Witnesses said that the army did not intervene, but riot police deployed near the military headquarters fired tear gas at the demonstrators to disperse them, while some threw stones.
Police said a demonstrator was killed in the city of Omdurman in a separate march on Saturday.
Officials in the Sudan say 32 people have lost their lives in connection with the violence related to the protests since the government decided to raise the price of bread on December 19.
The move quickly turned into anti-government demonstrations across the country, protesters accused the government of poor economic management, resulting in fuel and foreign exchange shortages leading to rising food prices.
Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir acknowledged that the issue raised by the demonstrators was legal, but after the security crackdown failed to prevent the protesters from taking to the streets, he imposed a state of emergency on February 22.
According to sources close to Omar al-Bashir, Omar al-Bashir is considering "plan B" after the agreement on the specific protection of the relevant situation, that is, the transfer of power to the military. The Sudanese military has added a Joint Office of the Chief of Staff to the General Command to protect demonstrators from the police and security forces.